Friday, August 12, 2011

Very very early days

Yoo Hoo - I'm back! It has been over two months since I did an arty post on Paint Party Friday.

The exhibition went well. I sold three large paintings @$200, $225 and $250 each and two small @ $90 each. They were all very cheap but at least I sold some. After Australia, my niece is still doing well but getting very fed up with chemo, I went to the 15 day silent retreat. It was very grueling. If you want to read a 'story' version of the retreat, go here!

I have been home for five weeks tomorrow. It's taken me a long time to get into action. I decided at the beginning of the year that I would paint till the middle of the year and use the retreat as a transition time. I am going back to my original 'invention', rice paper, very runny acrylics and oil pastels, to make illustrations for children's books. The art I was doing last year with the paper was very much stuff for children's walls. People don't tend to buy paintings for their kids but they do buy them books. I am sure you can follow my logic here!  I am finding my way with an affirmation ABC and this is what I have pictures of today. These are, as I noted in the post title very early days! At this stage, it's really just about me doing something again. Having found it hard to get started I am getting some momentum happening at last. Paint Party Friday has been a wonderful incentive. I was determined to have something to post today and I do! THANK YOU XXX

The pictures don't look as bright as they are in real life. So that is interesting cos printing will do the same thing. Photograph of the Aardvark taken by Beverly Joubert you can find some details about her here
Aardvark was taken by

Below is some of what came home from the exhibition!
Looking forward to catching up with you all again.

32 comments:

  1. oh wow!!! love the cool alphabet pieces and your paintings always make me feel like the sun is shining!!! wonderful work!!!

    Happy PPF!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your sales - hooray! I'm not quite sure how I would react to a silent retreat. I'm glad to hear your niece is still doing well - I will keep her in my thoughts :) Your alphabet book is off to an adorable start... I definitely look forward to seeing more!

    Welcome back!

    xo
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are back Rosie, and that your niece is doing well. Congrats on the sales of your art, and your alphabet illustrations are great. You'll get in the groove again, just give it some time. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the exhibition!! Your colors in your paintings are GORGEOUS!! And what fun those alphabet pieces are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Back!!! Congrats on your exhibition. That's great that you sold so many. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back...congrats on the sales. love the paintings that came back....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be ecstatic if I sold pieces for that price!! Congrats!

    My Hubby says I undercut my stuff way too much...haha!

    Great idea for the children's book....what kid doesn't need to hear how wonderful they are?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see you back, and congrats on selling some of your works! Good luck with the children's projects! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see you back. :) I missed seeing your vibrant paintings of sunsets. :) Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your Alphabet works and congrats on the multiple sales. Your paintings are so beautiful. Wishing you a HAPPY PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh! Those paintings are wonderful and inspiring! Congrats on selling some artwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the sales. Always love your paintings. Have a great weekend, Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your art style and Kudos on selling your art! Wow! Great ~ I am new to PPF ~ nice to 'meet you' ~

    Happy PPF ~ namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on the sales. Exhibitions are draining; it takes me at least two years to recover enough to agree to do another one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your sales! Are you putting the rest up on someplace like Etsy? The alphabet ones are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back and congratulations on selling so many of your pieces!! I'm glad to hear your niece is doing so much better although I am sure the chemo must be pretty soul destroying as long as it is ultimately making her better then I guess that's the main thing. I like the different direction you are taking with your wall art for kids' rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very gorgeous work. If these are the ones that didn't sell, I can only imagine the great beauty of the ones that did sell. I especially love the tall skinny one with the silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on a successful show! And your alphabet pieces are fun and cheerful- perfect for a children's book!
    Happy PPF!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  19. such bright and bold colors!
    congratulations on the success of your show

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your paintings and your alphabet ones are adorable!!! Happy PPF! Congrats on your show, too cool!!!!! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  21. hello rosie, so bright so calm nice to meet you
    rain

    ReplyDelete
  22. welcome back,, your work just warms my heart,, I hope everyone continues a healthy path and the childrens letter pages look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. glad you're back and congrats on the sales :) I can not imagine being quiet for that long, not sure I could do that.

    I love your alphabet pages, my son would too! So great.

    Thank you for your recommendation on the metallic paints :) Prayers for your niece...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome like an Aardvark, lol. I like that! Getting started is at least half the battle!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the sale of some of your works. The alphabet ones are great. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on your successful exhibition. Awesome!

    I love the alphabet paintings. Can't wait to see the rest of the ABC's :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love all your colorful artwork! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad to see you here again! It's good that you're getting back into the swing of things. Sometimes it takes a while. And that's ok, too!

    Your illustrations look great, but I really love seeing all your paintings from the exhibition grouped together like that! Congrats on the sales!!

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on your successful show! Your work looks amazing. Look forward to seeing more! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your art is so beautiful!! Love the vibrant colors! The alphabet is so colorful! Congratulations on selling a few pieces!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  31. what BEAUTIFUL paintings! congrats on the sales! i LOVE LOVE LOVE your idea of a children's affirmation ABC book! great start to it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love everything about your alphabet pages! The colors and textures and patterns of the background are incredible.

    ReplyDelete